I’ve tried many different types of pizza crusts in hopes of finding the perfect whole wheat crust. Finally, the search is over.
Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
Yield: Two 12″ round Pizzas, or 1 large 13″x18″ Pizza
2 1/4 teaspoons of instant yeast
1 1/3 cups warm water
2 1/2 cups of North Country Grains Whole Wheat Stone Ground Flour and 1 cup of All-Purpose Flour OR 3 1/4 cups of North Country Grains Whole Wheat Stone Ground Flour and 1/4 cup of Vital Wheat Gluten.
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
cornmeal, for dusting pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Yeast and Warm Water. Stir it around and let sit for 5 minutes or until the yeast is foamy and dissolved. If the yeast doesn’t dissolve or it doesn’t foam up, start over with fresh yeast.
- Add Flour (and vital wheat gluten*), Olive Oil, Salt, and Sugar. Mix by hand, if dough looks too dry add in more water starting with 2 tablespoons at a time. Your dough should feel tacky. Resist adding more flour as this will just dry out your dough.
- Oil your hands and knead dough for 3-5 minutes. After kneading, poke it with your finger – if it bounces back, your dough is ready to rise. If not, keep kneading.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl that has been coated lightly with oil. Turn it over to coat all sides. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm environment.
- Let rise until dough doubles in size – approx 1-2 hours.
- Punch the dough down to release the air.
- Divide the dough into two if you’re making two – 12″ pizzas, and let the dough rest in two separate bowls lightly covered for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475F degrees.
- Grease your baking sheet(s) with nonstick spray or oil. Sprinkle pan with cornmeal.
- Prepare your toppings.
- After 15 minutes, flatten your dough onto the baking sheet(s). Lift the edge of the dough up to create a lip around the edges. To prevent the filling from making your pizza soggy, brush the top lightly with oil. Using your fingers, push dents into the surface of the dough to prevent bubbling. Let rest another 15 minutes before topping.
- Top with your favourite toppings and bake for approx 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve immediately!